Built with green in mind from the ground up
Built with “green” in mind from the ground up, the building sits on a reclaimed brownfield site along the historic downtown Riverwalk and features a Low-VoC white roof which uses less energy to cool the facility by reflecting heat from the sun. In addition, strategically placed, high performance windows conserve energy and help with solar gain during colder months.
Prior to construction, a sophisticated sand filtration system was installed to protect the Cape Fear River from runoff. Floor to ceiling windows line the main concourse and provide natural lighting along with beautiful views of the riverfront. Each of the interior rooms have individual lighting controls, energy management and air quality sensors with HVAC controls and graphics so groups utilizing the spaces are comfortable throughout any event or meeting.
The interior features low-odor and low-chemical finishes, while the upholstery and carpets are made from recycled content. Water saving devices were designed and installed to reduce water consumption by an impressive 48 percent, including a water saving irrigation system for the landscape. The convention center also implemented a “green” cleaning and maintenance program to further preserve the space and its sustainability. In addition, the exterior spaces were considered in this eco-friendly design with dedicated priority parking spaces for fuel-efficient hybrid vehicles as well as easy-access bike racks.
Leader in Energy and Environmental Design: L.E.E.D Certification
- Issued by US Green Building Council
- Verifies initiatives to conserve energy and water, reduce waste, and enhance indoor environmental quality
- Brownfield redevelopment
- Innovative storm water treatment system
- Open park space
- Water-efficient landscaping
- Connectivity via pedestrian/public transportation routes
- Bike racks
- Hybrid Car Parking spaces
- Smoke-free campus
- Highly efficient HVAC system
- Controllability of lighting, HVAC
- Water conserving plumbing fixtures
- White roof that reflects sun, reduces heat gain
- High-performance glass
- Regional materials
- Educational program
- Green housecleaning